3.25.2013

A Gender. A Name. Procrastination.

Woops... Didn't mean to go this long without blogging.  I think about things "worthy" of writing about all the time, but I don't get around to doing it for many reasons.  The main reason being I usually think about what I would say when I am drifting off to sleep, or when I am thinking sarcastic/snarky thoughts in my car... neither of which are good times to make a post.

With that being said, I was correct:  We are having a boy.  I am excited.  I have heard little boys love their mamas and I am eager to meet him.  We will name him Elijah Rush McPherson.  Daniel will call him Elijah and I will call him Elijah Rush.  Identity crisis much?  Considering I grew up with five names, the least of which couldn't fit in the bubbles on standardized testing, I think he'll be fine going by two.  We didn't end up using my favorite name.  I am still sad about it-though I love Elijah Rush-but the Lord revealed to me in a dream we were to name our child Elijah.  Die to self, Anne.  Plus, Daniel and I are excited about the meaning behind it and grateful God laid it on our hearts.  As I acknowledged before, while names are important, we didn't want to put too much stalk in a name, but we feel blessed the Lord chose to reveal one to us and we will follow. :)

I love him so much already, but I am not into all the planning.  I think it's two-fold.  A) I am a procrastinator when I am overwhelmed and this is overwhelming.  Things I think I can accomplish easily and/or am confident doing, I will do in two seconds... this business... I procrastinate.  B) I don't get why our culture makes us think we need all. this. stuff. to raise a child.  I am just not sure 50% of it is actually necessary.  Do I really need a Baby Bjorn, Ergo, and a Moby Wrap? Will one or the other not suffice? Don't get me wrong, I am grateful I have the means to invest in things that make raising a child easier, but I don't know where to draw the line.  If I bought everything Target & Babies R 'Us suggested I buy, I think I would be like Inspector Gadget or a woman with mechanical arms sitting on her couch watching the machines, inventions, iPads, etc., raise my child for me all the while pressing a button and moving only to change a diaper!!!  So, where do I start?  What should I actually invest in and what isn't necessary?  It is just overwhelming.  Talking through things with some friends this past weekend helped a lot.  I am glad other people have gone before me and can offer their advice regarding which purchases are or aren't necessary.  I also know everyone parents differently, but I just don't want to overdo it on the "things."

In sum: We're having a baby boy named Elijah Rush and we are so grateful and lucky to already call him our son.  Regarding the nursery, I should get on with the planning and preparing- like yesterday.  I can't procrastinate forever.
 
Blog Design by Designs by Linds © 2012